The family of Samuel Sterling, a Black man who was allegedly fatally struck by a Michigan police vehicle weeks ago, finally received some news in favor of what justice looks like for them: murder charges for the officer involved.

The charges stem from the April 17 incident when 25-year-old Sterling was approached by members of the Michigan State Patrol’s Sixth District Fugitive Task Force when filling his tires in the Kentwood neighborhood of Grand Rapids, per He was wanted on multiple outstanding warrants, the report says.

As seen in the body camera footage, Sterling took off running, leading to a brief foot chase that ended when he was pinned between an unmarked SUV and the wall of a Burger King. By the time the officers caught up to him, the SUV slowly backed up, causing Sterling to fall down.

While on the ground, he clutched his stomach, groaning in pain.

“Why’d you hit me like that?” he’s heard asking in the footage.

The officers repeatedly ordered him to put his hands behind his back. One officer then placed his knee on his back – the area where Sterling stated he felt the most pain – for 10 seconds as the others ordered him not to reach for anything. Sterling told officers in the video he did not have a gun. He continued to moan in pain as the officers ordered him to “just be quiet.”

Paramedics arrived on the scene five minutes following the incident. Sterling died later at the hospital, per WWMT. Last week, prosecutors announced plans to hold one of the cops accountable.

Read more from

A Michigan State Police trooper has been charged in the death of Samuel Sterling, according to Attorney General Dana Nessel.

Detective Sergeant Brian Keely, 50, of Grand Rapids, was charged with one count of second-degree murder and one count of involuntary manslaughter Tuesday.

If convicted, the 50-year-old could face up to life in prison on the murder charge, and up to 15 years on the manslaughter charge, according to officials.

“Detective Sergeant Keely’s actions that day were legally, grossly negligent and created a very high risk of death or great bodily harm, which could have otherwise been prevented,” Nessel said.

In response to the news of the criminal charges, Sterling’s mother said she was brought to tears.

“When I first heard about it, I cried. I’m happy, but it’s still a long road,” said his mother, Andrica Cage, to MLive. “It’s never going to be relief to me. With my son gone, I haven’t been right since. That’s a pain, I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemies.”

Sterling left behind his 2-year-old and 3-year-old sons. Keely’s arraignment hearing has not been scheduled yet.